Holidays – relaxing in the sun, swimming in the sea and playing in the sand. Fun for the whole family, and a chance to see and learn about the great cultures of the world.
Though the idea is to have a relaxing time, it doesn’t always pan out like that. Particularly when you are travelling to your destination with the little ones!
Here, our friends at Trunki share some top tips on how to keep your tots entertained on longer journeys – whether it is a drive, a flight, a coach trip or even a boat ride, these tips will make things that little bit easier, and much less stressful for parents.
Here we go…
- Tablets & smart phones – It is the 21st century after all. These gadgets are exceptionally useful for entertaining on the go. Downloading great kids’ films and TV shows should guarantee a bit of rest bite, and you can also download some games and other apps to entertain your kids – such as fun educational apps like Reading Eggs and Mathseeds.
- Pack their best-loved cuddly toy – ‘Mr Bear’ is always a great companion and comforter, and can be particularly useful at times when flights can be a bit frightening – like take-off, landing or the dreaded turbulence.
- A children’s magazine – These can be bought at the airport itself, and are full of fun activities, articles and even free toys that should keep your kids occupied.
- Crayons & drawing – An oldie but goldie! Nothing beats a bit of drawing to kill boredom, particularly when the kids are excited and surrounded by a new environment. You can encourage them to draw what they are seeing and experiencing, and hey, if you get crayon all over your clothes, it washes off easy as well.
- Finger or hand puppets – When all else fails, time to get out the hand puppets! Fun for your little one when they require mum or dad’s full attention.
- Finger foods – A tasty snack is always entertaining! If you are on a flight, chewing and swallowing food can also help with changes in air pressure…so little ears won’t suffer as much.
- A new toy – What is more entertaining than the novelty of a new toy? Nothing! That’s the answer! Even just a cheap one bought at the airport will work. The novelty might wear off eventually, but it is usually long after the journey has finished.
- Reading Eggs – There is absolutely no reason the entertainment can’t also be educational. Your little one can embark on the fun Reading Eggs programme during their holiday travels, helping to improve their reading skills. You can sign up for a free trail here and have your little ones enjoy our trusted, award winning reading programme for ages 3 to 13.
- Take a look at Trunki: Trunki are experts in travel for children. They have a range of products that can make things much more comfortable for your little one, and relaxing for you. Take a look at their fantastic range here, including the classic Ride-on Trunki suitcase for little ones on the move!
There you have it, some top tips on how to keep those restless toddlers entertained on long journeys!